Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2016

Crispy BBQ-ed pork

BBQ-ed pork on a bed of lettuce
I suppose everybody has a go-to store-bought favourite sauce or seasoning that they like to turn to. And even though theoretically I want to make everything from scratch I don't always do it. In fact I have a few standards that save the day each time. One of them is the good old BBQ sauce. Its one of those party savers and weeknight mood-lifters when a little bit of BBQ-ed chicken wings can make dinner seem oh-so perfect each time! 

Weather-wise February is the perfect month in Delhi. The sun is shining and there's just the right amount of chill in the air. It is however notorious for spreading the flu - the ever persistent, nagging, and annoying as hell cold and cough that siphon off the joys of spring. Needless to say I have been bitten by the flu bug a few times this season. The other day sitting at home and generally too lazy to cook lunch for myself I decided to skip the usual curry routine and try some BBQ-ed meat. The only snag - no chicken. There was however some pork belly that has been sitting in the refrigerator for a couple of days. So I tried it out and it was a successful attempt! My favourite BBQ sauce came in handy yet again. Yippie! 


What you need


300gm pork*
5-6 tbsp, BBQ sauce
1 onion, small-sized, chopped
1 tbsp, olive oil
Pepper, to taste
Dry BBQ seasoning, to taste

* I used pork belly but I think anything works, just as long as it has a bit of fat.


My favourite!

How to

Clean and dry pork with a kitchen towel. Transfer to a baking dish and rub in the olive oil and a generous seasoning of black pepper.

In the meantime, heat oven to 180 degrees. Pop in the pork in the middle rack and roast for 20 minutes.

The pork would have lightly browned by now and all the excess fat would have come out. Drain the fat out completely and then coat the pork with the BBQ sauce. Put it back in the oven for 15 more minutes, first at 180 and then at 220 degrees for the last couple of minutes. Check if the sauce has caramelised in bits. BBQ-ed pork is now ready to eat.

The sauce at the base of the dish is really delicious. You could take it out and dunk in your pieces as you eat. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here