Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

My favourite go-to Indian food blogs

Like all good things, a wonderful four-day-long weekend has come to an end. It almost seems like Sunday didn't happen, and I have plunged right into the heart of Monday after a lovely relaxed Saturday night! Returning to the grind is never easy and last night I found myself doing a mental calculation of all the meals that need to be prepared to get us through the week. This, as most people would agree, is no easy feat. It involves complex arithmetics involving ingredients available at home, multiplied by number of meals, divided by free time available after work to complete the task! And, as much as I love to spend time in the kitchen, most week nights - if I am cooking at all - it is a struggle. Having said that some kind strangers have helped lessen the burden by sharing with people like myself, some incredible recipes that are easy to cook and delicious to eat. For me, three websites stand out. These are my absolute favourites when it comes to Indian food, and I think it's time I put in a little thank you note to all of them. The photographs are of some of dishes I made, although these are not my week night choices. The ones I make on week nights are generally never photographed!

The websites are arranged alphabetically, simply because I can't make up my mind as to which I like more than the others! :) 


Bong Mom's CookBook 

The goddess of modern Bengali food blogging, Sandeepa's blog (and book, check it out here) is a treasure trove of fantastic recipes along with witty anecdotes from her life. I have tried innumerable dishes following her instructions and they have always turned out yum! I purchased her book sometime in 2013, and it continues to remain a prized possession that I know I can turn to, when in need of Bong food.

Flavours of Mumbai

I discovered this site only recently after Rupak recommended it for a prawn recipe. I tried it out, discovered a great deal more - innumerable recipes that I know I will try out very very soon. Here is a photograph of a Prawn Masala Dry dish that I tried out. 


Prawn masala dry


Veg Recipes of India 

This is the ultimate website for vegetarian Indian recipes. Period. There can be no argument, no debate on this statement. Very often when I have vegetarian friends coming over for lunch or dinner, I only check out this site! I can say with confidence that if you enjoy eating vegetarian food, there will be something for you here. The thing that makes this website stand apart is the fact that it offers multiple variations of the same dish. For example, the photograph I have here is using a recipe for Dal Fry (restaurant style). For those looking for a simpler dish, there is one called Dhaba-style Dal, which is similar but not quite the same :)


Arhar dal fry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here