Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Gur and Nariyal Modak

The onset of September is a reminder of the changing season. The summer sun gives away to the gentle breeze of autumn, morning chills, and foggy winter nights. For some reason I have always felt a bout of nostalgia during this time of the year, perhaps because it is a reminder of how quickly our lives fly by. This Sunday morning I was sitting on our favourite blue bench on the terrace watching a million dragonflies swirling in the air up ahead, the big tree in the middle of the park swaying from left to right, and it reminded me of excitement I had felt as a child before the Pujas began.

As per the Hindu calendar, the festival seasons begins in full swing with Ganesh Chaturthi. The elephant-headed God, Ganesh is especially revered in the western region of the country, and it is an important festival for many. But for me, a Bengali by birth, this day always passed by without much ado, except a reminder that the best months of the year were coming up, with Durga Puja and Diwali and, of course, Delhi winters!

In any case I tried something new that day. Not something that I can say I was hugely successful at, but I am happy to say that I tried. Modaks are traditionally made for Ganesh Chaturthi, and to be honest I have never tasted one. My attempt as you would see is a poor man's version of a modak, and these certainly aren't the prettiest I have seen! But we all popped one each at home and I thought they tasted pretty nice. The original recipe is by the super talented Dassana Amit, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here