Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Orpie's Beet 'Loot' Salad

The perfect side dish

If you live in India, then you cannot have missed knowing about the demonitization of Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes. For or against is a different matter altogether, and something I will not get into right now. But owing to the scarcity of smaller value currency I decided to try out online grocery shopping from Modern Bazaar. It was a good decision, and the vegetables that were delivered were bursting with freshness and colour :)

I wanted to make a healthy salad and after spending some time Googling recipes, I didn't really find a recipe that was perfectly matching the ingredients I got delivered. So I tried out my own version that Rupak has famously called the beet 'loot' salad! Haha! I was super impressed how the salad turned out and I said to him, "had I had eaten out and paid for my beet 'root' salad it would have been pretty expensive. Needless to say most halfway decent restaurants are making a LOT of money dishing out simple salads. 'Looting' customers!" And, then he called it my beet 'loot' salad! How perfect! And that is how this salad got its name.

What you need


The ingredients are very flexible obviously. I simply used what I had. 

2-3 beets, medium sized (I used one large and one medium)
Handful of spinach leaves (or, any salad greens)
Some sweet corn, steamed or roasted
Some paneer (could use cherry mozarella, or feta, or tofu)

Dressing
2 tbsp olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
3-4 garlic pods, crushed
salt, to taste

How to


Wash and pat dry the beets. Cover them in foil and roast them in the over for about an hour at 180 degrees.

Ready for the oven
While the beets are getting cooked, wash the salad green and keep aside.

Steam, or roast, the sweet corn.

Prepare the vinaigrette: Mix together all the ingredients under dressing.

Come back in an hour to check on the beets. Once they have cooled for ten minutes or so, peel the skin and slice thinly. 

Beautiful beets


Ready to assemble
Well, then. Mix everything together and add some crumbled paneer or feta or cheese on top! But remember to assemble this salad just before serving or else you will have a salad that is all beetroot-red in colour! :D

Colours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here