Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Healthy snacking: Make some granola at home

I tried this out because I was looking for healthy snacking options for those post-lunch binging sessions at work. So, I thought, what's better than an oat-based snack, eh? I like having porridge for breakfast but it does tend to get boring at times, and I had been trying to figure out healthy alternatives to the oily pohas and omlettes available at the canteen upstairs. 

Store-bought granola is mostly imported in the Indian market, and therefore frightfully expensive. But, when made at home it costs less than a third of the price with the additional advantage of the possibility of customizing the recipe. The thing is, there is no one perfect granola recipe. What you love, goes in to your version!

My favourite obviously has lots of nuts and a generous flavouring of cinnamon and vanilla. I modified a recipe I found online and I love it. And, as I said, the possibilities are endless - dried fruit, coconut shavings, anything can be added! 



Fun bit


An assortment of my favourite nuts

What you need

3 cups, oats*
3 tbsp, brown sugar
1 cup, nuts of your choice (walnuts, almonds, cashews)
3 tbsp cup dehydrated fruit or raisins
1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 tbsp, flax seed
1/4 tsp, salt
2 tbsp, mixed melon seeds

1 tsp, vanilla essence
1/4 cup, vegetable oil
1/3 cup, honey + Maple syrup 

* I used Quaker's oats. Do not use one of those instant, pre-flavoured ones.


How to

Step 1: Take a large mixing bowl and mix all the dry ingredients in it.

Step 2: In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients. 

Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones. These need to mixed till you have a crumbly, soggy mess at hand ;)

Step 4: Take a flat baking tray and line it with aluminium foil. Lightly grease it. Pour out the mixture on to the tray. You should have a thin layer that is uniformly spread out on the tray.

Step 5: In a pre-heated oven, roast the oats for about 15-20 minutes, turning it over once in between.

Step 6: Take out the granola from the oven. Let it cool. The finished product has a crumbly texture.


Here's to snacking in bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here